Porcelain Crowns (PFM Crowns)
Porcelain Crowns (PFM Crowns)
Instant Info Section
You are very valuable to us!
If you are looking for a first class
If you are looking for a first class dental service, look no further. The Antlara dental clinic is without doubt the best in Turkey. I did extensive research about dental implants before making my final decision to travel to Turkey for treatment.
Porcelain Crowns (Porcelain Fused to Metal Crowns -PFM)
What Is a Porcelain Crown (PFM Crown)?
How Much Does a Porcelain Crown Cost?
- United States: $1,000-$1,500
- United Kingdom: £400-£500
- Canada: $1,000-$1,200
- Turkey: $100-$200
When Do You Use a Porcelain Crown?
How Are Porcelain Crowns Made?
- The patient's first assessment is made, and their expectations from the treatment are asked. For a successful crown treatment, the patient's expectations from the treatment and esthetic expectations for the post-treatment period should be well examined.
- After the first consultation, X-Ray and 3D examinations are made.
- According to the examinations, infected teeth, if any, are treated.
- After the filling or root canal treatments, the teeth are scraped from the upper and sides. Porcelain crowns consist of a 1mm porcelain layer and a 0.5mm metal layer. For this reason, at least 1.5 mm trimming is required on the tooth surface.
- For the construction of permanent crowns, detailed measurements are made inside the mouth, and a bite impression is taken.
- The patient is discharged with a temporary crown until permanent crowns are crafted. In most cases, dental clinics produce permanent crowns within the same day using CAD-CAM technology.
How Long Do Porcelain Crowns Last?
Lifespan of Porcelain Crowns
Which Is Better, All-Porcelain Crowns or PFM Crowns
|All-Porcelain Crowns||Porcelain Crowns (PFM)|
|High light transmittance capacity and natural looking||Low transmittance rate and less aesthetic appearance|
|Less resistance up to 200 Mpa||High resistance up to 1000 Mpa|
|Less life span||Longer life span|
|Designed for the frontal region||For molars and rear regions|
|Not ideal for bridges||Ideal for bridges|
|Not expensive||Not expensive|
Porcelain Crowns (PFM Crowns) FAQ
Porcelain Crowns (PFM Crowns) - Antalya
It is not possible to bleach again when porcelain crowns are stained. In such cases, they should be changed depending on the level of stains.
It is possible to make small restorations on porcelain crowns or veneers. But, after the treatment, they must be polished again. A cosmetic dentist must perform these procedures.
Porcelain crowns can be stained due to minor structural cracks if not cared for well. It is not possible to eliminate severe stains even with professional care.
Porcelain crowns are crafted by glazing them at high temperatures, so the re-polishing of porcelain teeth does not provide the same aesthetic appearance. Polishing in home conditions can cause more harm than good because of the microscopic cracks in the porcelain. If there is a porcelain crown on the implants, the implant can be removed and re-glazed by your dental provider.
When porcelain crowns (PFM) is damaged, small fractures can be repaired with composite bonding. However, the polishing process after the repairment does not provide the desired result, as it is not applied at high temperatures as with the first polishing of the crown.
PFM crowns have been at the dental stage since 1960. The metal parts are not harmful to health but may cause allergies in some patients. In such cases, it is possible to replace it with porcelain or zirconia crowns.
The maintenance of PFM crowns is vital because of the outer porcelain layer. They must be protected against brutal strikes. Patients should keep away from hard toothbrushes to avoid scratching the porcelain. People with teeth grinding and squeezing habits should use the night guard recommended by their dentists.